I know, I know. This may seem like old news. But the data just keeps pouring in, which only helps solidify my argument that SMS is an effective marketing medium.
According to new information released by YouGov, mobile users are very open to being sent offers via SMS.
In the past, the industry has experienced negative attitudes toward text message offers on the consumer side, and reluctance of marketers to utilize them due to doubts regarding their success.
But the tables have turned.
The survey by YouGov and the related infographic yielded the following results:
- 65% of people like offers on their mobile phones.
- 75% of smartphone users prefer receiving offers via SMS.
- 83% would prefer to receive no more than two offers per month.
I know, you’re probably wondering “then why don’t all businesses use SMS to reach their customers?” And all I can say is, it’s only a matter of time.
SMS allows businesses to deliver strategically-timed offers to a very captive audience. They can gather SMS opt-ins and deliver value-driven messages to those customers to reward them for their loyalty.
But marketers and businesses need to be aware of how to maintain the sanctity of SMS so it can keep moving in this positive direction, so this data should be taken to heart.
- Don’t overwhelm your customers with a billion text messages a month—they WILL get over it and they WILL unsubscribe.
- Don’t send messages that don’t deliver some sort of value to your customers—they WILL lose interest and they WILL unsubscribe.
So, let it be known: the most effective mobile marketing medium for eliciting a consumer response is SMS. Are you making the most out of your marketing efforts?